Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Aftermath

You know how after a battle, you go back to the land and it's charred. There are cracks and burns. It isn't pretty. That's what happened to my scalp. No more bugs. No nits. I'm finally 100% sure of that. I thought I'd have to wait until Sunday, but I can already see that I'm good. That said, the Malathion -- strong ass shit -- left my scalp beyond dry and flaky. Not to mention, I have a leftover rash that hasn't totally healed from the nonstop scratching. But the upside to it all is that I saved my hair. I didn't have to cut it. The hair itself looks beautifully kinky and thick. Hard to believe it survived all the madness in such good shape. But I will wait until December to get my sisterlocks put in again because my scalp is pretty tender right now. You have to be so careful when you first get sisterlocks. No oils or conditioners -- that kind of thing. I need to be able to really work on aiding the dryness and redness with Miss Jessie's products -- the really good stuff! I slicked back my hair in a ponytail today with a ton of gel and a few people said they thought I shouldn't put the locks back in. "Your hair looks better straight!" My son squealed. "It shows a different side of you...I like that better," a good friend commented. Thanks for the input but HELL NO. I am counting the days until I'm back in my sisterlocks. I loved them. They felt natural and beautiful. Slicking my hair back with a mound of that cheap, dark gel you get at Walgreen's...not so much.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad, but we've come to see "straight" hair as "pretty hair". It takes people a while to get used to texture and other changes. I'm glad you didn't have to cut off all your hair, and thanks for sharing this trial. It lead to some great discussions on the Lock It Up group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by! I don't know if I could have dealt with this without the lockitup board. So supportive!

    ReplyDelete