Thursday, December 16, 2010

Is that your hair?


I was thinking today about my post about having long hair. Then it occurred to me that I've never had my hair natural at even this length. A friend asked me today if it was all my hair. I had to chuckle. I've read that a lot of sisterlock sisters get that question. It had never happened to me before. I started getting relaxers at around age 5. That's just what we did back then. It was not just normal, it was expected in my world. In college, I cut all my hair off and, gurls, you know they talked about me. (Why did that AKA cut all her hair off -- skee wee to any sorors out there!) When my father passed seven years ago, my sister and I both cut our hair off -- coincidentally. It's not like we planned it together. She's still rockin' a beautiful natural "do". Her hair is much straighter naturally than mine. I got frustrated midway, got a texturizer, hated the texturizer, and cut it off again. Although I've been natural for around three or four years, I'd often get frustrated and cut it because I just couldn't manage. Then, exasperated, I just gave up. During that period, I did nothing to it. I wore a hat for six months. I may have been depressed about it, but it grew like weeds. I don't remember how I stumbled upon sisterlocks. But that's when I realized how much my hair had grown -- the first time I got them that is. And this time, as much as I went on and on about my odd shaped hair, I think it turned out okay...I nice simple bob. My braid-out is still lingering. I liked it. The ends of my hair were frizzy when I first got my hair sisterlocked. And now, 10 days later, the little curls on the ends have returned...just smaller. I know I'm rambling. Just some random thoughts and observations. I will say that I have an inner peace and happiness not feeling like I have to change me just to be me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Shari, I just love your blog. Like you I have never worn my natural hair "out just by itself" until I got my SL (lol, wow). A while back I wrote a post on Lock it up titled "Is it real" ?. It still amazes me when someone comes up to me and asks "Is that all your hair?" Or, the ever constant, "Is it real?" I think that a alot of people just expect black women to have fake hair. Isn't that a trip? But it's a boost of confidence to say, "Yes, this is my hair".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will get many more of those kinds of comments. Take it as a compliment, because your sisterlocks are indeed lovely. One lady one time asked me if I was wearing a wig. I told her no and that my hair is real and that they are sisterlocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Leah Thank you! I have surprised myself at how much I enjoy writing this blog. That said, it is equally fun to read about the experiences of others. I've spent more than an hour some days reading sisterlocks blogs! I'm going to check out your "Is it real" post on Lockitup.

    @Kreyola I'm not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to more comments like that! Thank you so much for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you got me. I spend HOURS on Sisterlocks blogs! Particularly on a Friday night when I've had a long work week and just want a little me time. It's kind of fun to cuddle up on the couch with my iPad and click on blog after blog. :)

    ReplyDelete