Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lice...ugh

It was incredibly hard to face this blog. Particularly because it's so obvious how deliriously happy I was with my sisterlocks. And then the lice came. Ugh. My two young sons caught it from a child at their childcare. It's a small group of children watched by a wonderful mom who has been doing it for years.  It can happen to anyone. And it happened to me. Just so happens black people don't usually get it because the oils and pomades we put in our hair and also possibly because of curly texture of our hair. Although I hear there are lice in Africa who have adapted to our texture and habits just fine. Anyhow, they love a clean, non-oily scalp with a lot of hair. Early in my sisterlocks, I hadn't washed my hair much, but after that 6-week period, I was washing it every week, sometimes twice a week. When I learned that I would have to lose my sisterlocks, I was crushed. I initially thought I was going to have to lose my sisterlocks and my hair.That was really hard. But because my hair hadn't fully locked, I was able to take it down. Took me about as long to take down as it was to put in. My hair was in remarkably good shape. I didn't know what to expect. So, I hired a nitpicker to remove the lice eggs. That wasn't cheap, but if you're interested and in the NY/NJ area go to licebeaters.com. They put me on an olive oil treatment, but I've added mayonnaise because my hair is so thick the olive oil doesn't completely do the trick. I'll be on this for another two weeks. I'll get my hair sisterlocked in December. You can never get an appointment right away. If anyone is interested in all the gritty details, feel free to email me at davis_sjd@yahoo.com.  I'll be back blogging again in a few months.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that the combination of vinegar and Cayenne Pepper will definitely kill anything. A sister on the lockitup board gave me that recipe from the dreadlockshq website: http://www.dreadheadhq.com/make_dreadlocks_tipstricks_bugs.php. AWESOME! It doesn't kill the eggs, but you won't have any creepy crawlies after that. Just need to pick the nits. Kudos to her!

    ReplyDelete