Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My first SL consultant appointment

I have been looking forward to tomorrow all week. At the end of the day I have an appointment with a SL consultant. She's actually a trainee, but I'm excited nonetheless. I've been natural for awhile. I'm like most sistah's out there. I've had every hairstyle available...I've even locked my hair before. The locks didn't turn out so well because I didn't do my research. I impulsively chose someone who didn't really have an interest in my hair type or working with me long term. She started me with gel twists. They actually looked okay after a year and a half, but never had that funky Kool look I craved. There was no shape to them and they were too large for me to do much styling. So, I cut them off and went through the cycle again of perms, twa, twists, braids, weaves, etc. The natural revolution was not really a natural one for me. I was the kid who had a perm at age 5 because my hair was so thick and challenging to control. Perms were just a part of my life...an expected necessity. When I entered college, something inside me craved to know what my hair was really like naturally. I didn't really know. So, I did the big chop. Back in the early '90s it wasn't exactly the kool thing to do. I went to a large campus and it was really huge deal. I was the talk of the school. People openly talked about me and said very unkind things. Even my family was less than encouraging. Not knowing much about natural haircare, I ended up struggling, frustrated, and eventually permed it again. And that cycle of perm, big chop, natural hair, braids...repeat...perm, big chop, natural hair, braids...repeat, has been my life for so many years. Until now. I'm very excited about sisterlocks and I'm hoping this is a final, permanent solution for me. I think it will give me the flexibility and funkiness I crave without the styling hassle I don't have time for. I'm going to try two consultants, both of which seem very talented. It really comes down to my personal choice and time constraints. I'm logging this journey because, well, it just feels so good to write down all that I'm feeling inside. And I must admit, for me to post a photo with my natural hair so vibrant and healthy, is somewhat liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment